Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Little Victories

Sometimes, you have to take the little victories.

Everybody in a war wants a big victory, their Gettysburg. A victory that changes the entire flow of the war. But sometimes, you have to take the little victories.

And probably no where is that more true than in the weight loss war. I mentioned in my last post about how my work life was making it difficult to keep up the fight in my weight loss war.

Well, work is still busy, but there have been a few little victories in the last few weeks. Between 2 and 3 weeks ago I needed some jeans for work one morning, but everything I had was dirty or torn up too bad to wear. So I started digging through a pile of clothes on a chair in my room and found a couple pairs of jeans that had been thrown aside in disgust several months ago. At that time they didn't fit. Not even close to fitting. The button was 2 or 3 inches away from fastening.

But no longer. That morning as I began my day, those jeans could no longer taunt me from their pile, as they buttoned with little effort. A little victory.

However, getting back into these jeans created a new problem. My belt was left serving no purpose. With the jeans buttoned and the belt on its first notch, I was left with a gap. A big gap. big enough that I could place my fist between the waistband on the jeans and the belt before it got tight. So, that night, I had to dig out the leather punch and added 4 new holes to the belt. As of today, I am in the third of the four holes I added. A little victory.

Last week, I was finally able to break away from work enough to get in a couple of workouts, which considering everything that was going on, is a huge deal, and one that had to be done, because I knew what the weekend was going to be like. Last Friday, my parents, grandmother, and I headed for St. Louis for a wedding. Weddings are great things, but can be hell on you when trying to lose weight. Really, it was a test. Friday night was the rehearsal dinner which was a great meal. Hors d'oeuvres were melon in prosciutto wrap, cucumbers and cream cheese, and olive spread with crackers. Dinner was a pasta with sausage and green beans. Dessert was raspberries, chocolates, and a berry sherbert. The food was great, but very easy to overeat on. Lunch Saturday before the wedding was fast food. The reception was buffet with shrimp, chicken, roast beef, potatoes, salad, and of course cake. Sunday, since my brother and his family couldn't make it to the wedding due to illness, we came home via their place. And lunch again was fast food. Yep. I'm screwed. Probably gain 4 or 5 pounds back. Damnit.

So today, I stepped back on the scale to see how much damage I did. And as of 6:30pm tonight (I know, bad time to weigh), I was 443. Actually down another pound from the last weigh in. And while I would really like to be dropping more than one pound, when I don't get to do much serious exercise and going for three days of low activity and lots of rich food, havin lost a pound is a little victory.

It's all about learing to enjoy little victories.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Proud of you. After this 4th of July weekend I managed to put on 2 pounds and I have reached a plateau. But not giving up. In fact, I need to get dressed and head to the gym right now :)

Keep up the good work and I'll be checking back in soon.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about it petey. You're doin' awesome. Besides, I'm probably gonna walk your ass of out in wyoming!
Dragonfly

Anonymous said...

Just remember Petey it took you 26 years to put the weight on, you won't lose it overnight. If you talk to Sarah on the weight watchers program it is healthy to lose 3 lbs. per week. That's awesome you can get back into your skinny jeans though! Keep working on it!!
Red