Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Journey Begins

I know this will not be an easy journey; it will require dedication, sacrifice, discipline, and planning. But I am not travelling this road alone. I have the support of my family. My parents have offered to help in any way they can. And I know their moral support will be a key to my success. I also am looking to my brother. He has struggled with weight his whole life. But he is an inspiration. When he was in college, he weighed in at about 380 pounds at his heaviest. But with discipline and support, he dropped over 180 pounds prior to the birth of their son.

I have also tried to approach this process with forethought and diligence.

First I committed myself to the task. While it was an easy decision to lose weight, the commitment to the task required much more time. Anyone who has ever tried to lose weight, especially a lot of it, knows the amount of work that goes into the process. More than once, I have tried to lose weight, but would eventually fail because I couldn’t make the long term commitment. There would be some success, but the weight would not come off as fast as I thought it should, and would quit. So with this decision, I took a lot of time to prepare myself mentally for the task. In December, I began to think about the process, and what it would take to reach the goals. It took over four months of mental preparation and planning to get to the point of actually making the change in my life.

Next, I informed my family my goals. Of course, they support me in the decision. My mother and her sister have both fought weight their whole lives and understand the struggles of trying to lose weight, while still living life. Dad, on the other hand, has never dealt with the struggles of weight, but having two sons who have battled weight, he has seen what limitations obesity can have on a person.

7 comments:

Michael W. said...

Hey Petey!

Congratulations on your first step.

You and I have a lot in common,both of us are reenactors, (or living historians) have weight issues, and need to do something about it. I have a few other health problems with knees and such that I am hoping some weight loss will help, so I am starting the very same journey you are.

Good luck to you! I will be following your progress.

Mike W.

Anonymous said...

Good luck little brother. We're sure pulling for you! If you need anything, let us know.

Graumagus said...

As you know, I have also struggled with a weight problem my whole life, and have faced many of the same problems as you.

I was about to start down the path you've chosen recently, then came to the realization that until my personal situation with the divorce is finalized it's not going to work. I just don't have the mental discipline to stick with what I need to do on the weight loss front and emotionally deal with my divorce. Sounds like a cop out, but I've been down that path before (got down to 211, which was damn near slim for my frame) and I know I just don't have it in me right now.

Northwest Minuteman said...

great blog! Another one you might enjoy:

www.freedoms-fight.blogspot.com

Cameron said...

We are so proud of you Uncle Petey!

Anonymous said...

I am with 100% brother! If I can do anything to help, tell me. Maybe we can start trekkin your land when you're ready for that stage. I'd like gettin out more myself. I'm proud of you.
Dragonfly

Wes said...

I'm proud of you Petey! You have what it takes to do this & we're all behind you.